Over the years, I have done a lot of research on what type of personality I have.
It fascinates me and makes me wonder how much is accurate based on my own opinions, feelings and views. I have taken the Myers Briggs Personality Test – both the formal and informal (i.e. free versions found online) multiple times and have been very consistent in my personality type:
INTJ – 95% of the time
INFJ – 5% of the time
This means I have the following strong personality traits:
- Introverted (I) – rather than extraverted (E)
- Intuitive (N) – rather than sensing (S)
- Thinking (T) – occasionally feeling (F) will make an appearance when I take the test – but rarely
- Judging (J) – rather than perceiving (P)
Apparently, according to all of the websites I have visited, INTJ’s are the most rare personality type, making up only 2% of the population and as a woman INTJ, only 0.8% of the population. Which means I’m pretty rare.
What this means in general terms for me:
- I prefer to be alone (introverted). I can be around others, but once I’ve hit my max, I CRAVE my alone time and will not be a very nice person if I don’t get time to decompress.
- I follow my gut 90% of the time (intuition). This gut sense does take into account facts gathered and past experiences and I’m confident in my assessment in most situations most of the time.
- I make most decisions based on facts and logic (thinking). If something isn’t logical, then don’t even try to BS me because I don’t have time for that. Occasionally, my emotions will take over (I am a woman after all), and my feelings will rule – but it is almost always based on logical reasoning.
- I make a plan, revise as necessary based on new information, and stick to it (judging). I hate to improvise unless my plan was planned in advance to allow for improvisation. Example – don’t screw up my work day, it is planned and will frustrate me if something throws me off course. But I can be totally relaxed and go with the flow when called for – like vacations: because vacations aren’t meant to be regimented (except in very specific instances – such as being on-time for a tour group).
What this means for the people around me:
- Me not wanting to be attached at the hip (to anyone) does not mean that I don’t like, love or care for you deeply. I DO have feelings and I DO take your feelings into consideration. Since I say what I think and mean what I say, I expect the same from you. If you do not tell me what you are thinking or feeling, then I can only guess based on my Intuition, which may be wrong since I have failed mind-reading class.
- Speaking of Intuition – I can almost always tell when something is “off” with you. Maybe you’re having a bad day, maybe you have a secret that you’re struggling with, maybe you just found out you’re going to be a grandma – doesn’t matter, that intuition is almost always spot on correct. If I’m asking “what’s wrong” – I do care about your answer and wouldn’t be asking if I didn’t want to know. Usually, I’m trying to figure out how I can help you and genuinely WANT to help you. If I don’t ask “what’s wrong”, then either I am unable to help you at that moment due to my own crazy life OR I don’t want to help you – 50/50 shot at either option.
- Some people have been freaked out when I suddenly appear in their lives. I’ve shown up to too many places where people are genuinely surprised to see me because they’ve been thinking about me and/or wanted to talk with me, but didn’t make the time to contact me, for me to blow it off as coincidence. What they don’t know is, almost always, I sense that they want to see me. I’ve woken up in the middle of the night, wide awake, 10 minutes before an important text comes through. I’ve walked in doors, to places I have no reason to be (other than sensing I need to be there), and greeted with, “I’m so glad to see you! I’ve been thinking about you for 2 weeks!” – what they don’t know is, I’ve had the sense that they wanted to talk to me for that entire 2 weeks – I just didn’t make the time myself to go to them right away (I do have a life you know!).
- Because I do my reasoning and thinking with logic, I can tell when what you’re telling me is nothing but BS and lies. Probably why I love Judge Judy so much – “If it doesn’t make sense, then it’s not the truth!” Tell me the truth, all of the truth, and we’ll get along fine. If you tell me partial truths, then be prepared for me to call you out on it. I will know, and sense, and be severely disappointed in you that you feel this is a good course of action (which is to say NOTHING of how I feel about myself if I try to BS myself…..yes, I have done this, and yes, it wasn’t pretty in the end….soul crushing disappointment upon yourself is nothing to laugh at).
- When I make plans with you, I expect you to follow through on whatever it is that we’ve agreed to. When you can’t follow through, tell me. I can adapt and I can make alternate plans – just not if you won’t talk to me.
These memes are right on when it comes to me and how I think:
And lastly, how being an INTJ relates to me: